Complete Guide to NIE

Ashkan Ahmadi

A Complete Step-by-Step Guide to Getting your NIE

If you are planning to study or work in Spain, you will need a NIE or a TIE. The process of getting one, however, can be confusing and frustrating especially if it’s your first time doing it and you don’t speak any Spanish. In this detailed blog post, we will breakdown what a NIE/TIE is and how to get one.


Because of the coronavirus situation, all the March and April fingerprinting appointments were cancelled. At the moment, you have to make

Although there are many unknowns at the moment, we can confirm that you need to make an appointment if you need to submit a digital fingerprint, or if you want to pick up your TIE card.

If you have already submitted your digital fingerprint, go to this official website, pick your city and then under TRÁMITES CUERPO NACIONAL DE POLICÍA, select RECOGIDA DE TARJETA DE IDENTIDAD DE EXTRANJERO (TIE). Enter your information, and see if there are any appointments available.

You will then need to make another appointment to go and pick up your TIE 21 to 30 days after submitting your fingerprints.

What is a NIE/TIE?

NIE (número de identidad de extranjero) refers to the national identification number issued to all non-Spanish persons seeking temporary residency for various purposes. This is a unique and non-transferable number assigned to every non-Spanish resident. When you apply for and receive your NIE, the Spanish government gives you a small piece of paper (see below) with your NIE number and some basic personal information on it. All EU citizens are required to have this number and the process is fairly easy.

A TIE issued to all non-EU citizens with a NIE

TIE (tarjeta de identidad de extranjero) is a card (see below) that has your picture, NIE number, address and where you work/study. If you are a non-EU citizen, you have to apply for a TIE. This process is much more complicated since you need to register yourself at the city hall (empadronarse) to receive your padrón. Once you have done that, you are required to get an appointment at an immigration office which can be a headache. Depending on which police station you are willing to go to or which city you are in, the nearest appointment you can get might be up to a month later. We recommend applying for an appointment once you arrive to Spain.

A TIE issued to all non-EU citizens with a NIE

In short, NIE refers to the number issued to the EU citizens and TIE refers to the card that has the NIE number issued for the non-EU citizens.

Why do I need a NIE/TIE?

You will need a NIE/TIE to

  • Pay taxes and apply for paid internships
  • Apply for a NSS (número de seguridad social) or a Social Security Number (see our blog: How to Get a Social Security Number)
  • Apply for a business permit and starting a business
  • Open a bank account or buy a SIM card
  • Prove you are a resident in Spain
  • Other legal procedures …

What documents do I need to submit to get a NIE/TIE?

In general, it depends on your status and citizenship but these are the common documents needed to be submitted at the police station:

EU citizens:

  • Appointment confirmation (sent to your email)
  • Passport and a photocopy
  • Proof of enrollment in a school or a job offer/contract
  • Receipt of paying the tax fee
  • A copy of the application form EX-18 (read below for more information)
  • A private Spanish health insurance with Europe coverage
  • Sufficient financial resources: an average of 532 euros per month or 6,400 euros per year

non-EU citizens:

  • Appointment confirmation (sent to your email)
  • Proof of enrollment in a school
  • Passport and a photocopy of it
  • A photocopy of your Spanish visa and entrance stamp
  • 3 passport-size photos, white background, not older than 3 months
  • Proof of registering yourself at the city hall (Certificado de empadronamiento) – What is Empadronamiento and How to Get a Padron
  • A copy of the application form EX-17 (read below for more information)
  • A copy of the tax form 790 Code 012 (read below for more information)
  • Receipt of paying the tax fee (read below for more information)
  • A Spanish private health insurance (only if you are renewing your NIE)
  • Sufficient financial resources: an average of 532 euros per month or 6,400 euros per year (only if you are renewing your NIE)

Where to begin?

1. It all begins on the official website of the Spanish Ministry of Immigration. Go to this link:

Select your province

2. Select the province where you live from the drop down menu (Barcelona, Madrid, …)

3. Click on Certificado EU if you are an EU citizen or Expedición de Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero if you are a non-EU citizen.

4. If you are getting your NIE/TIE for the first time or if you are renewing it, select POLICIA-TOMA DE HUELLAS (EXPEDICIÓN DE TARJETA) Y RENOVACIÓN DE TARJETA DE LARGA DURACIÓN). If you are an EU citizen, select POLICIA-CERTIFICADOS UE. If your NIE has expired or it’s in the renewal process and you need to exit Spain and still be allowed back in, select POLICIA-AUTORIZACIONES DE REGRESO.

EU: Certificados UE / non-EU: Toma de Huellas

5. Click on the button Aceptar (accept) to go to the next page.

6. The next page has a list of some of the documents you will have to present. You can download the application form EX-17 and Tax form 790 Code 012 on this page as well. Click on the button Entrar to go to the next page.

7. On this page, you need to enter your personal information. Select NIE if you have a NIE number on your Spanish visa. If not, select Pasaporte and enter your passport number. When you are done, click on Aceptar.

Enter your personal information

8. On the next page (screenshot below), you will see your full name and ID number. Click on Solicitar Cita if you want to make an appointment, Consultar Citas Confirmadas if you want to check the status of your confirmed appointment, Anular Cita if you want to cancel an appointment or Salir if you want to exit without any further action.

Click "Solicitar Cita" to make an appointment

9. When you click on Solicitar Cita to make an appointment, you will be taken another page (screenshot below) where you can pick the police station where you can submit your documents. IMPORTANT: Check all the addresses on Google Maps before you pick as some of the police stations are really far away (We recommend an office near Badalona if you live in Barcelona). When you are ready, click on Siguiente to move to the next page.

Pick a police station

11. On the next page, enter your telephone number and your email address. The confirmation letter will be sent to this email address.

12. If there are any free time slots available, you will see the page below. Select the date and time available. Click on Siguiente to move forward.

Pick the time and date available

13. The next page (below) is going to show you the summary of the information. If everything looks correct, tick both “Estoy conforme con la información mostrada en pantalla” (I confirm that the information shown on the screeen is correct) and “Deseo recibir un correo electrónico con los datos de mi cita en la dirección que he proporcionado.” (I would like to receive an email with the details of my appointment at the address I have provided.). click on CONFIRMAR to confirm your appointment.

Summary of the information you have provided

If everything goes well, you will receive a confirmation letter with all the information you have provided. Now you will need to go to the police station that you selected and present your documents. We recommend showing up at least 30 minutes earlier than your appointment since you will have to stand in a line.

Application Form EX-17 (non-EU citizens) or Application Form EX-18 (EU citizens)

Application form EX-17 for non-EU citizens

This is a short 2-page application form which you need to fill out with your information. Here we have provided the translation of the fields you have to fill out.

Section 1 (2 and 3 if you are guardian responsible for a minor)

  • 1er Appellido = first last name
  • 2º Appllido = second last name
  • Nombre = first name
  • Sexo = H: male / M: female
  • Fecha de nacimiento = birthdate (in the dd/mm/yyyy format, example: 18/09/1983)
  • Lugar = City/town
  • País = Country
  • Nacionalidad = nationality
  • Estado civil = Marital status: S: single / C: married / V: widow / D: divorced / S: separated
  • Nombre del padre/madre = father’s / mother’s name
  • Domicilio en España = home address in Spain (this should match your empadronamiento)
  • Nº = house/building number
  • Piso = Apartment number
  • Localidad = city / town
  • C.P. = postal code
  • Provencia = province
  • Representante legal = ignore this field and Sections 2 and 3 if you are +18, fill out if you are a guarding responsible for a minor

Section 4

  • Tarjeta inicial = if this is the first time you are getting your card
  • Renovacion de tarjeta = renewing your card
  • Modificación de situación legal, laboral o personal = changing your legal, work or personal status
  • Duplicado por robo, extravío, destrucción o inutilización = getting a duplicate in case of losing it
  • Section 4.2 Situation in Spain: Here you will have to pick why you are in Spain. The most common one is the first one Estancia por estudios, investigación-formación, intercambio, prácticas o voluntariado (studies, doing research, exchange student, internship or voluntary work).

Right above the signature box at the bottom of the page, write the name of the city (e.g. Barcelona) followed by the date: dd – mmmm – yyyy. For example: Barcelona, a 10 de septiembre de 2018.

Print the document and sign it. Make sure you take a copy to your appointment.

Tax Form 790 Code 012

Enter your information

This is an online tax form that you have to fill out, print, take it to any bank and pay the fee (depending on your application).

Fill out the first section IDENTIFICACIÓN with your personal information.

Scroll down to the section AUTOLIQUIDACIÓN. First, Make sure Principal is selected. Then, select the radio button that matches your status/application in Spain. In most cases, you will need to select one of these two buttons

  • Non-EU citizensTIE que documenta la primera concesión de la autorización de residencia temporal, de estancia o para trabajadores transfronterizos. (15.76 euros)
  • EU citizensCertificado de registro de residente comunitario o Tarjeta de residencia de familiar de un ciudadano de la Unión. (12.00 euros)
Pick whether you need a NIE or TIE

Now go to the bottom of the page. Write your location under Localidad and pick the date under Fecha. The amount you will have to pay as tax will be shown under Importe euros. At the bottom of the page, write the CAPTCHA code and click on Descargar impreso rellenado to download the PDF file.

Download and print the PDF

Download the PDF version of the form 790 code 012 and print one copy. The first page should look like the following image but with your information on it.

Paying the Tax Form 790 Code 012

You can pay the fee at a bank or a CaixaBank ATM. If you go to a bank, pay the fee and ask them to stamp the form and give you a stamped receipt.

We recommend going to a CaixaBank ATM because they usually have a barcode reader and it would take less than a minute to pay and get a receipt. You will receive a receipt like the image below.

IMPORTANT: make sure you don’t lose the receipt. You must present it at the police station.

Submitting your documents and fingerprints

Now take all your documents to the police station, wait in line and wait for your name to be called (after the COVID-19 situation, you will need to confirm your appointment code there). Keep in mind that in most cases, not a single person speaks English at the police stations. If you do not speak any Spanish, we recommend taking someone who can understand and speak Spanish.

If you wish to avoid all this work and let a professional immigration lawyer do all this for you, fill out our Legal Help form and our professional lawyers will get back to you as soon as possible.

The NIE process in 7 Steps

Let us know in the comment section below about your experience going through the NIE process. What worked well and what didn’t?

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact us.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 5 / 5. Vote count: 616

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

As you found this post useful...

Follow us on social media!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?

Are you a student?

Download the Studentfy mobile app to get access to our student discounts, trips, events and services like health insurance and legal assistance.

114 Responses

    1. Hi Mohan. That’s usually not necessary because they tell you after when to come back but most police stations post the current card series on their front door. Your resguardo has a number called lotte. You can go to the police station to ask or see if the cards with that series are ready or not. Thanks

  1. I have submitted my application for TIE card in December and I am still waiting for my card. Do we need to book an appointment to collect the card as well or we can just go and collect it?

    1. Hi Akhil. It depends on the police station. Some police stations require an appointment to collect the card and some don’t. It’s best to go there and ask whether you need an appointment or not. Thanks

    1. Hi. It usually takes between 3 weeks and 4 weeks. They will tell you when to come back. If you submitted your documents back in December, it might take 4 to 5 weeks because of the holidays). You can always go to the police station and ask if your card is ready based on its serial number.

  2. Hi, I am currently not able to get over to span due to border restrictions so was going to start my internship virtually however I need my NIE number to do this, can I apply for one from the U.K.?

    1. Hi. If you are a British citizen, I recommend consulting with the Spanish embassy/consulate in the UK since there have been new laws that we are not totally aware of. I’m not quite sure if a NIE is needed if you aren’t living in Spain.

  3. Hi, thank you so much for this post, I finally got my appointment. I’m a little confused about the fingerprints part because it’s not listed as part of the required documents, so is it necessary or not?

    Am I getting my fingerprints done at the appointment? Do I get my fingerprints done and bring them to the appointment or is it something that is done after the appointment on my own?

    Thank you in advance!

    1. Hi Ren. No worries. When you go to your appointment, you will have to give them your documents and they will take your fingerprints on the spot. You dont need to do anything else before that (other than making sure you have all the required documents and have paid the tax) Thanks

  4. Hi Ashkan,

    Thanks so much this page was so helpful . I have a question though, I went for the appointment to get the TIE card and at the end of it, the person serving me said I needed to make a Cita Previa and then wrote down the place I need to go to pick up the card when its ready in a few weeks. However the website on the paper she gave is just the standard gov website ( Do you know what I need to do to make an appointment to pick up the card when it’s ready? And is it possible to select the specific place to collect it from that she wrote on the paper ?
    Thanks in advance!! Much appreciated,

    1. Hi Sam. I’m glad you found the information helpful. Yes, you will need to make an appointment to pick up your TIE. For that, go to this link (same link for making a fingerprint appointment), then next to TRÁMITES CUERPO NACIONAL DE POLICÍA, pick the option RECOGIDA DE TARJETA IDENTIDAD DE EXTRANJERO (TIE). You might not find any appointment at the moment. If you still can’t make an appointment 3 to 4 weeks from the date you submitted your fingerprint, you could go back there to see if they would let you pick it up without an appointment. Hope that would work.

      1. Hi. Does this need to be at a specific office? For example my appointment was at Rambla Guipuzcoa, so does the pickup have to be at Mallorca 123?

        1. Hi Joe. Apparently recently they send some of the cards to Mallorca 123. You have to go to both stations to ask to be sure. They seem to be changing their procedures a lot so it’s best to double check with them. Thanks

          1. Hi Ashkan!
            Thank you so much, the questions you answered helped a lot. I do have one as well pertaining to the fingerprint appointment- do we need any documents outside of what the original appointment provided us? Or is their a site with a list so we can check that we have everything in order? Thanks again!

          2. Hi Morgan. As far as we know, it’s pretty much impossible to have a list of documents needed for every case since some nationalities need to provide some additional documents. 99% of times what the official website where you make the appointment says is enough unless you think submitting an additional document would help your case

  5. What a great post thanks! So I have two more questions, my partner from the UK came here last week to live with me in Catalunya.
    Does he need a NIE and a TIE or just a TIE is enough?
    Plus we are not far from Barcelona but its almost impossible to arrange an appointment there, could we also go to Taragonna to apply for that?
    Many thanks!

    1. Hi Frank. Your partner won’t need a NIE if he/she is staying temporarily. If he/she is planning on living here long-term and working here then you will need to get a NIE. NIE is the number and TIE is the physical card that has your NIE written on it. If you live in the province of Barcelona, then no, Tarragona is a separate province. You can apply for an appointment at any immigration office in the same province where you live. It doesn’t matter which county or town as long as it’s inside the same province. Thanks

  6. Hello, I am an EU citizen and have just started my new job in Madrid. I intend to stay for over 3 months, so I’d need a residency card with NIE.

    The dropdown menu to select an appointment in Madrid has recently changed, and the option “CERTIFICADOS UE” no longer exists. I’m in doubt which is now the correct option to select. Should I select “POLICIA – CERTIFICADO DE REGISTRO DE CIUDADANOS DE LA UE?” Is that the right appointment for a residency card with NIE for EU citizens?

    Muchas gracias!

    1. Hi. Thank you for bringing that to our attention. We will update the blog. Yes, you will need to pick that option. Thanks

  7. Hello,

    I am a US citizen who was granted a student visa for a stay of less then 180 days. My understanding is that I do not have to apply for a TIE.

    This is because as I was applying for an appointment I saw this;

    “No se expedirá TIE cuando el permiso al que esté asociado sea inferior a 6 meses, ni en el caso de que la vigencia de la misma sea inferior a 30 días.”

    1. Hi Richard. Yes, that is correct. The NIE/TIE is only for the individuals who are going to spend more than 6 months in Spain, or are here to work. If you are going to be here less than 6 months, you won’t need a TIE unless you are planning on working/doing an internship. Thanks

  8. Hi I just came to valencia on work visa that my Company Applied. It already have NIE number. Now where can I get NIE card and what is the procedure?

    1. Hi Akhil. The process is pretty much the same. You need to apply for the TIE in the same way but you will probably have to present different documents depending on your case. Thank you

  9. Hello, my friend just had the appointment to apply for a NIE and her documentation was accepted. She was told she should make a new appointment to pick the NIE up in 5 to 7 days, but the option ‘recogida de NIE’ is not available in the dropdown menu. Should we mook elsewhere or just pick the same option we did before (‘asignacion de NIE’)?

  10. Hi, I just finished my studies in BCN but I want to do an internship. My TIE expires in September and I’m not a EU citizen. How can I extend my TIE? Would the company I intern for give me the required paperwork or would I have to request it from my university? Or is this not possible?

    1. Hi Claire. Your internship can be done only until your NIE is valid, in your case, until September. If you are going to receive payment from the company (i.e. be on the payroll), you need to get a social security number. Remember that you cannot legally work or do an internship if you are not a student. You need to be onboarded as an intern and the company needs to sign an internship agreement with your university. Most universities would not sign this document if you have already graduated. You need to check that with your university. If they would do it, then you need to ask for an internship agreement from your university to be signed by you, the university and the company. The document is called el convenio de práctica in Spanish. If you have more questions, feel free to contact us through Whatsapp. Thanks

  11. Hi, I am an EU citizen who will be spending more than three months studying in Spain and therefore will need to apply for Spanish residency. So my question is do I just apply for residency outright, during which process I will be allocated a resident NIE number anyway, or do I have to apply for an NIE and THEN for residency separately? Thank you!

    1. Hi. If you are staying in Spain for less than 6 months, you won’t need a NIE. The NIE number is your residency number unless you want to get the residency through a different procedure and not as a student. In that case, the procedures and requirements would be different. Thank you

    1. Hi Kulvinder. At the moment, it’s pretty much impossible to get an appointment due to the lockdowns. Please contact our legal partner, BarceTip, to inquire more information about when and how to make an appointment. Check out our Legal Help page. Thanks

  12. Hi! I am an Erasmus student here in Bilbao. I have a french student visa. I understand I don’t need a TIE to stay here but can I process it anyways? I have been living here in for four months now and this is my last semester. I’m planning to stay here as well after my studies for my internship.

    1. Hi Jan. If you are planning on doing a paid internship, you will need to apply for a NIE and a Spanish Social Security Number. It’s much easier to get the NIE since you are an EU citizen. Please check out our How to Get a Social Security Number blog for more information about the SSN. Thanks

  13. Hello I had applied for an NIE through a foreign agency in UK and my application was sent to Madrid police station and I was looking for contact details of Madrid police station to enquire about the progress of my application though I don’t have it could you help with their email address I will appreciate

    1. Hi Michael. We don’t have the contact details ourselves but a quick Google search should give you all the information you need. Thanks

  14. Hi, I have been trying for several weeks to get an appointment to renew my NIE (certificados EU) in Barcelona province. I spend sometimes up to one hour entering and re-entering data and I constantly get the “En este momento no hay citas disponibles” page. This seems rather insane… It hasn’t been like this in past years. Would you have any information about the current situation for NIE renewals? Thanks!

    1. Hi Gayle. Unfortunately, it seems that it has gotten worse, one reason can be that more and more students are coming to Barcelona for long-term studies and since the government can’t cope with the high number of demand, it makes it very frustrating for the applicants to find an available appointment. Unfortunately, there isn’t anything that can be done about it. You could go through some immigration lawyers. They have access to certain appointments that average users don’t have access to. Check out our Legal Help page. Thanks

  15. Hi actually I m in valancia I have submit my document after 5months I have aslo pay for tie fee after 3months but there is
    no response and do not change the resolution state so what’s happan they can’t response I m very upset about my tie plz guide me how much time is required for the tie renewal

    1. Hi Sitara. If your renewal status hasn’t changed in the past 5 months, that’s pretty normal. Sometimes it takes up to 6 months just to give a response and sadly, there is nothing you can do about it. As long as your status says en trámite (in process), you can get a regreso and leave the country and come back with no issues. You should get a response in the next couple of weeks. Thanks

  16. Hi! Can you pay the tax at any time or does it have to be the same day as your appointment at the police office? Thank you

    1. Hi Brittany. It can be the same day or a few days before. It won’t make any difference. Just make sure you don’t lose the receipt. You must present that with the rest of your documents. Thank you

  17. I have been in Barcelona on the student visa since October. The visa ends on the 16th. I have had a lot of trouble booking the TIE appointment for these last three months and have still been unable to get one on the website. I’m not really sure how to proceed. Will I even still be able to get the TIE after this period?

    1. Hi Didi. Thank you for your message. In this case, it’s crucial to go through reputable lawyers. They have access to many appointments that are not accessible on the official website. Check out our Legal Help page. Thanks

  18. hello, I’m in valencia and i have a student visa that should be renewed. i got my appointment but i need to know all the required documents needed please.
    thank you

    1. Hi Fadila. You need to have your passport, school papers, empadronamiento, EX17 or 18 form and the receipt of the fee payment. You can find the entire list on the blog. Thanks

  19. Hi, Thanks for the informative blog. My student visa expires on Jan 4th, and I have an appointment booked for Feb 18th. But I also booked a return flight back to Toronto from Jan 20th to Feb 4th. Will I be okay for the TIE appointment, and what do I need to do in order to be able to re-enter Spain?

    1. hello. is this also the same process for a non-EU national? i am a filipina i am here with family reunification visa. my husband is a EU national.

    1. Hi Kath. Most probably yeah. You just need to give them the paper that they give you and they can get your card. Thanks

  20. Hi and thank you for the detailed information! I already have my NIE (applied for and received it while still in Canada), but it sounds like I will still need the TIE. Am I correct in thinking that having my NIE in my passport is not enough for setting up a bank account, getting a phone plan, making doctor appointments, etc? If so, how do I go about getting only the TIE since I already have my NIE?

    Thank you very much!

    1. Hi Warren. Unfortunately, having a NIE in the passport alone isn’t enough and most probably, your visa will expire in 3 months so if you are staying longer than that, you will actually run into issues since you won’t have a valid visa to do anything. You must get a NIE which is issued for all non-EU citizens. Your NIE is just a number and it will be mentioned on your TIE (which is just the card). You need to follow the steps mentioned here to start. Everyone who gets a student visa gets a number but without the TIE, many places may refuse to open a bank account. You may open a bank account or get a phone plan just with your passport number until your TIE is issued. Thanks

  21. I finally made an appointment on the 17th of December.
    The problem is the limit date on my visa is the 8th of December.
    And the police station is not in Barcelona, it is in a small town called “VILANOVA I LA GELTRU”. It is one hour by train from Barcelona. But I live in Barcelona and my empadronamiento is in Barcelona.
    I can make the travel, but I just want to know if the date and the address of the police station would be a problem in the administration level.

    1. Hi Lin. It shouldn’t be an issue since recently the government has made it even more difficult to get an appointment. If they ask why, you can explain that it was impossible to find an appointment any time sooner. You should be ok. Thank you

  22. Hi, I’ve my TIE appointment tomorrow and I know that it’ll take 30 days to receive the physical card but is there a way to get the card sooner ?

  23. Hello, can I fill out all the forms by hand (print it and then fill it out by hand) or it has do be done by computer (typing)

    1. Hi Robertas. It doesn’t matter by hand or computer but it needs to be legible. We ourselves recommend doing it on a computer and then printing it just to avoid any issues. Thanks

  24. Hello! I have a question. In Valencia you need empadronamiento in order to get NIE. Is it ok if I get the empadronamiento from the city, but I get the NIE card from an office in another town, in the same province? I’m asking this because there are no appointments left in Valencia and I only managed to get one in another city (I’ve tried unsuccessfully for a few weeks to get one in the city)

    1. Hi Marinh. Yes, you can get your NIE/TIE from the same province where you are registered (empadronado). It doesn’t matter which city it is as long as it’s in the same province. Thanks

  25. I already got my student NIE card last year and it expired in January 2019. Then I applied for a 6-month student visa extension. I got the visa, but I did not get an NIE card at that time. Now I have reapplied for another 6-month student visa extension and i want to get the card at this time. Will there be any problem because I did not get it last time?

    1. Hi Yash. We have never heard of a case like that before so please contact, say that you are coming from Studentfy and explain the case and they will help you with it. Unfortunately, we do not know the answer to this particular case. Thanks

  26. I had my appointment and now need to go get my card. I know I need to wait 30 days for the TIE, but is there a time limit on when I need to go or will they hold the card for some time? I’m at about 45 days, but will not have a good day to go get it for a few more weeks.

    1. Hi Jessica. I’m sure they would hold the card for a while but try to go as soon as you can. Otherwise, they might think you have left. Thanks

    1. Hi Laura. The number itself won’t change so even if it’s expired but you should have the date written on the card. If you are from the EU, there won’t be any expiration date but you need to register yourself every 2 years (non-EU) and every 5 years (EU). Thanks

    1. Hi Theo. Nothhing. In practice, it’s impossible for anyone to get their TIE within the first 30 days especially in September and October since the soonest appointment you can find, if you even find one, would be more than a month from now. As long as it’s not more than 3 months, you should be ok.

  27. Is there a private agency that could help fill out forms and get an appointment for a TIE in Madrid. The 30 days is almost up!

    1. Hi Danean. Please contact and tell them that you are coming from Studentfy. They mostly operate in Barcelona but they can help you get an appointment. In theory, everyone should get their TIE within a 30-day period but in practice, that’s almost impossible. You don’t need to worry about the 30-day period. You can do it within 90 days or as long as your student visa is valid. Make sure it doesn’t go beyond 90 days or you might run into some issues. Thanks

  28. Hi, I made an appointment with my passport number and not my NIE number. Will that be a problem when I go to the office for the TIE? Thank you.

  29. This blog is superb! Thanks for creating such a helpful guide.

    I do have one question. I’m trying to get my TIE in Malaga (I’ll be living in El Palo), and there are several options for the ‘oficina’ to make a TIE appointment in the Malaga province. Does it matter what oficina in the Malaga province I go to? The oficina closest to the Malaga city center has a very long wait time, but I can make appointments sooner in other offices (e.g. Velez-Malaga).

    Thanks so much for your time and help!

    1. Hi Trevor. Thank you. We are glad the guide is helpful. Honestly, we have heard conflicting comments about this. Some immigration offices have refused people from other provinces or neighborhoods and some are ok with it. It’s impossible to tell whether they would be ok with it in a particular office in Malaga but you should go to their front desk and ask. It doesn’t make sense if you make an appointment but then they reject you. Double check first. Thank you

  30. I have one question more,
    I paid for TIE in the bank, they just put a sello on it, didn’t give me a receipt,
    Will it be enough for my application?

    1. Hi Ecenur. As far as we know, you must hand over that receipt to the officer, because there wont be another way to know that you have actually paid. We recommend double checking with the bank one more time to see if they can give you a receipt. otherwise, you need to prove that you have actually paid the tax. Thanks

  31. Hi there, I was wondering – all of the information says that I need to have a TIE appointment within a month of arriving in Spain. However the first appointment I can get in Madrid is at the end of November (I’ve arrived at the end of September) is this ok? The 3 month temporary visa in my passport lasts until January?

    1. Hi Jacqui. Yes, all the documents say that you should have applied for the NIE/TIE within a one month period. However, realistically, that’s impossible. Many people come here looking for a flat first and it’s impossible to get everything done in less than 45 days, let alone 30 days. With thousands of foreigners going through the same process and applying, the process is very slow and unfortunately, unless you go through a lawyer and end up paying, there isn’t much you can do about it. Keep trying and you will be ok.

  32. Hola buenas, I have a spanish estancia visa, I got 1 cita for ”expedicion de tarjeta” too. But I don’t have a NIE number on my visa, so I made the appointment with passport number. Is this a problem not to have a NIE for TIE?

    (Some of my friends have it on visa)

    1. Hi Ecenur. Yes, most student or work visas already have a NIE number on them. However, depending on your nationality, place of issuing the visa and visa type, it might not have the number. The government will assign you a number anyway once you are here and apply for the NIE/TIE.
      Thank you

  33. Does it matter if the application form EX-17 and the tax form 790 Code 012 are typed, then printer or are written ink ink?

    1. Hi John. No, it doesnt matter. We usually recommend having them typed instead of hand written as it is more legible if it’s typed and then printed. It will not make a huge difference though. They accept hand written applications as long as the hand-writing isn’t too bad.

  34. Hello i am married to spanish, under family reunification visa, i dont know if i need to get NIE? I directly did the appointment for TIE which next week Or do i need to get fist the appointment for NIE? Thanks

    1. Hi May. You don’t need a separate appointment. NIE and TIE are the same. NIE just refers to the number (e.g. Y12345678B) and TIE refers to the card that has your information on it including your NIE (T stands for Tarjeta which means card).

  35. Hello what happens if I pass the first month yo apply for tie/ and the region I live in has not a option for tie appointment in online

    1. Hi Tuba. That’s quite strange because every region must have at least one. Maybe go to a police station in your city and ask them about an immigration office in the city/region. Thanks. Studentfy

  36. Hi, I applied and received or my NIE number before moving to Barcelona; I used Lawyers in Spain. However I only received the paper copy not the card. Do I still need to book an appointment at the immigration office to go and order a TIE card ???

    1. Hi Jaelyn. As far as we know, yes. You need to have the TIE card itself as some places may not accept a paper copy of it. We recommend checking with your lawyer one more time just to be sure. Thank you for asking. Studentfy

    1. Hi. Usually there is no need to cancel the appointment but it’s the same process as making an appointment, however, you will have to click on Anular La Cita to cancel it.

  37. Hello. My son is 16 and studying in San Sebastián until June 2020 but the student visa is only valid to November 2019. Are youth required to apply for residency and/or TIE?

    1. Hi Peggy

      Most probably, yes. All non-EU individuals who plan to study in Spain must apply for the TIE which is the residency card. It might be slightly a different case since your son is a minor. We recommend contacting the immigratin firm BarceTip just to double check with them. Please contact

      Thank you

  38. How do I apply for the renewal of the TIE? School provided me with papers to extend it. As I found out first you have to apply for the permit and then the do the new TIE. How do I extend the permit?

    1. Hi Nicolas. That is correct. You first need to submit your documents and wait (up to 5 months) for a response. Once you are approved, you need to go to the immigration office for signing the documents and then wait 10 to 30 days to have your new TIE card ready. We are working on a detailed blog explaining how to renew the NIE/TIE. Please stay tuned.

  39. Hi,
    We have a residency card after being here 2 years, my husband works, I don’t. How do I apply for my TIE duracion temporal if my husband supports me?


    1. Hi Salma. We have never heard of that. It’s true that a lot of the governmental agencies work half-time and that causes everything to take longer but you can still submit your documents in August.

  40. Hi there thank you for this helpful guide.

    When I go to book an appointment this is coming up and it will not let me book something:

    “En este momento no hay citas disponibles.
    En breve, la Oficina pondrá a su disposición nuevas citas.”

    Do you know how I can book an appointment another way?
    Thank you,

    1. Hi Taylor. That means there are no available appointments at the moment. We have heard lots of stories about how to get around it like trying between 08:00 and 08:05 in the morning!! Unfortunately, you constantly have to refresh the page until there are time slots available. You could also contact our legal firm partner and they will find a time slot for you. You can find more information here:
      Thank you

      1. Hi thanks for the response. I haven’t even been able to get to the page where you can choose the location (step 9). That is coming up right after step 8. I did try refreshing a few times, but there’s no option to even choose a location or time yet (like you mentioned above 8 to 8:05, etc).

        Is there another way to book an appointment? Can I go into a police station in person?


        1. Hi Taylor. That’s correct because the page where you can pick the location appears only when there are free time slots available.
          Before, you could go to a police station and see if you can get lucky but now almost all the locations require an appointment. You could try your luck by going to a police station without an appointment but most likely, you will get rejected. Keep trying online as well. Keep us posted.

          1. Hi there,

            I still haven’t been able to get an appointment for my TIE. I am just wondering if anyone can assist in getting an appointment?


  41. Hi, is it very necessary to get a empadronamiento to get my TIE? I only book a room and my name isn’t in the house contract. How can I do?

    1. Hi Eduardo. You may have to go with the landlord/landlady to the empadro office. Please stay tuned for the detailed blog about how to get your empadro.

    1. Hi Adrian. As long as you have your name on the house contract, you should be able to get your padron. We are currently working on a detailed blog on empadronamiento and how to get it. Please stay tuned.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Studentfy is the largest student association in Barcelona. We offer the best deals, products and services to the international student community in Barcelona.

Studentfy mobile app